Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Review: ON Glycomaize


It's been about 2 weeks since I've been using Glycomaize so I think it's about time I posted a review of the stuff.  It really is an interesting product and supplements your carbohydrate intake nicely after a workout.

Price: 7.5/10
Glycomaize's main competitors is dextrose and when compared side by side, Glycomaize is quite a bit more expensive.  There's really no other way of looking at it.  The one that I got is a 50 serving for container... provided that you only take one scoop per serving.  Unfortunately, it recommends that someone in my weight range take between 1 to 2 scoops.

Effectiveness: 8.5/10
Before taking Glycomaize, I used to eat a banana with my post-workout shake.  It's nice that it adds extra calories and carbs to the post-workout shake.  For people trying to gain weight, it's a very convenient way to add some healthy calories to the mix, particularly if you're taking more than one scoop.  One of the reasons why I think I've managed to not lose weight (an understandable worry for those trying Insanity) is because of this product.  Please note that for people within normal body weight range, not losing weight while losing fat is a good thing.  The reason why I didn't give it a higher score is because for those taking only one scoop per serving, they might as well buy bananas (if you can get it for cheap.  I live in SoCal so most produce is cheap year round).

Taste: 6/10
It is labeled as being unflavored.  But remember, unflavored does not mean no flavor, just that any additional flavor has not been added.  And indeed, this proves true when it comes to Glycomaize.  Glycomaize adds a slightly off taste to my shake as well as a chalky texture.  In the beginning, this was very off-putting.  The first time I drank it, I kind of regretted buying it.  I really liked the taste of my strawberry flavored protein and didn't like the way this affected the taste.  But you get used to the taste after a while, although the chalkiness doesn't really disappear.  Plus, if you shake it, that weird taste gets hidden even more.

Mixability: 6/10
Don't even think about stirring it with a spoon.  You'll just get gnarly lumps.  Not cool.  When you shake it, it's fine, but not stirring.  No way.

Overall:
I think that it's a pretty decent product.  A very nice way to add calories if that's what you're looking for and you just want to drink it instead of eating it.  The flavor initially is pretty bad, but you get used to it fairly quickly.  Also since most people shakes their post-workout shake anyways, it might be a non-factor for those people.  On a side note, Glycomaize is like cornstarch.  It likes to poof and make a mess everywhere.

1 comment: