Friday, September 10, 2010

Insanity Brief Look: Cardio Power and Resistance

Cardio Power and Resistance (CPR) is one of the toughest workouts in the first month.  It is characterized by a lot of jump moves combined with chest and tricep exercises.  The jumping motion kills your legs pretty early on in the workout and then it just becomes grueling from there.  I found myself becoming more and more off balance as the workout progressed and maintaining proper posture was harsh.

I feel myself becoming more fit, but this seems to be a double-edged sword.  My muscles can now keep up with the pace that I (mentally) want to be at so I pushed myself hard. But it turns out that my heart isn't up to par yet.  I should have paced myself better so that I can smoothly finish all the workout, but instead I ended up wiping myself out.  Shaun T reminds you frequently throughout the dvd to pace yourself and regularly check your pulse, and that's a great advice.

I can keep up a good workout at about 160 bpm for a decent span of time.  But once I get near 180 bpm, I'm wiping myself out and a little bit of rest is nowhere near enough to try and recover.  It really goes without saying that for the average joe that attempts Insanity, it's damn easy to hit critical bpm.

No comments:

Post a Comment