Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Insanity Brief Look: Plyometric Cardio Circuit

Plyometric Cardio Circuit (PCC) was the first "real" workout that I did in Insanity.  I remember it being particularly agonizing the first time through, but 2 weeks in and the third time around, it's actually becoming a nice tough challenge.  I'm not searching for a bucket after the workout anymore... just desperately gasping for breath.

PCC is a great mix of exercises.  It incorporates both lower body and upper body workout, wrapped into a tidy cardio package.  But, therein also lies a problem.  The upper body workout (consisting of push ups) is in the second half of the workout.  By this time, I'm so tired out from the first half of the cardio that I feel like I can't give as much effort as I should.  I also feel my form going down the drain.  Luckily, unlike Pure Cardio, there are several 20-30 second breaks throughout the session which helps out quite a bit.

I went into the workout a bit sore (reason for that later) and about 20 minutes into the workout, developed a persistent cramp.  I thought I could work through it, but had to stop for a few minutes, due to it worsening.  About 5 minutes of targeted stretching helped quite a bit and allowed me to finish the workout.  This cramping taught me a few things.  I'll go more into it on a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment