Monday, September 6, 2010

Insanity Workout - Week 1

Well, week 1 of the workout has come and gone.

About the workout:
Insanity starts off with a fit test as the first workout to allow you to keep track of your improvements over the weeks.  The first thing that is evident about Insanity is the sheer amount of intense cardio.  It just never seems to end, moving from one workout to the next without breaks until the round is over.  Then a short break, after which the workout starts again.

The workouts for the first month doesn't seem like a targeted muscle workout.  This leads me to believe that if what you are going for is mass, Insanity is probably not the workout for you.  However, if you want to get in shape for any active sports or just become fit, then Insanity looks like it will fill that niche.

A lot of movements in Insanity involves quick explosive movements combined with prolonged aerobic workout.

My thoughts:
The hardest part of Insanity and probably other similar workout DVDs is to complete the whole video.  It is extremely tempting to just tell yourself that the last 10-15 minutes don't really matter because a large portion of it is stretching and that you've done enough.  Don't fall for it.  Pushing through that thought and finishing is really motivating.  It's like... Ha!  I kicked my weak self's ass.

Also, because of the intense cardio, my advice for many other couch potatoes like me would be to take a break when you need it.  Don't let yourself cooldown, but if you need a quick breather to finish the workout, take it, then get back into it.

Another thing that I tried to do was to place an importance on proper posture over repetitions.

My improvements:
I would like to say that I noticed some muscle definition, but at this point, it might just be wishful thinking.  I have noticed that my overall flexibility has improved.  I have not noticed any definite gains or loss of weight at this point in time.  Weight isn't a very good indicator of improvements though.  When I find my tape measure, I'll put up more accurate stats.


Fit Test #1:

  • Switch Kicks: 41 
  • Power Jacks: 35
  • Power Knees: 44
  • Power Jumps: 15
  • Globe Jumps: 5
  • Suicide Jumps: 8
  • Push Up Jacks: 10
  • Low Plank Oblique: 17

Notes:
In the fit test, I counted by sets (ie. Left switch kick + right switch kick = 1).
Yes, I know.  My fit test results are pretty abysmal.
I could not work out on one of the days due to a cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment