Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cast Iron Skillets - A Brief Look

I've first been introduced to cast iron skillets by Alton Brown (not personally, but through his show Good Eats of course).  I mean sure, I've heard of 'em before, but I don't really know anyone that uses them.  Non-stick pans have dominated the skillet industries.  But Alton Brown converted me.  The thought of eating a perfectly seared medium-rare steak (the only way to eat a steak) was enough to drive me to buy one.

The pans sounded perfect.  It's relatively cheap, tough, versatile, and supposedly non-stick (more on that later).  It's also supposed to be green (if you care for that sort of thing) because you don't (or rather shouldn't) use soap to wash the darn thing.  I know, I know... With the current anti-bacterial society, that sounds horrendous, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

I've been using my skillets for a few months now and I think I got a pretty good handle on it.  There's a LOT of ups and downs of using cast iron and I'll slowly go through them, and that is a whole new journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment