Monday, September 13, 2010

Review: Gold Standard Whey Protein 100%


For my one and only nutritional supplement, I take whey protein.  Why is it my only one?  For one thing, it costs a LOT of money to buy supplements (these don't come cheap) and to be constantly buying to replenish your stock of several supplements is more money than I'm willing to use.  Another reason is that the number of supplements out there is huge and for each of those supplements, you have a company telling you why you need it.  But I did my research and as far as I'm concerned, I don't really need any of it.

The whey protein I take is Gold Standard Whey Protein.  I would rate this protein 8.5/10.  

Protein Content:
The amount of protein that it supplies is competitive with other whey proteins.

Mixability:
I had to rate it a bit lower because it doesn't mix very well.  I get lumps and no matter how much I stir it, it doesn't really go away.  Maybe it mixes better shaken, not stirred... but I doubt it.  I've tried several methods and none of them seems to work very well.

Update: I finally got myself a shaker and I have to say, it does make a huge difference.  When shaken, it dissolves into the milk very well and didn't leave any noticeable lumps.  I would recommend using this product the James Bond way.

Price:
I found Gold Standard proteins to be a bit lower in price compared to its competitors at my local nutrition store.  Sure, there are other lesser known brands that are offered cheaper online, but if you want one that has been used by many people, it's hard to go wrong with Gold Standard.

Taste:
This is a big one for me.  I've tried chocolate, I've tried vanilla.  I didn't like either.  If you don't like the taste of your protein, you're not going to want to drink it.  I got the Delicious Strawberry flavor (I like strawberries) and I have to say, it tastes pretty good.  Kinda like strawberry Nesquik mix.

Overall:
You really can't go wrong with Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey Protein.  The price is decent (they constantly have sales so you don't need to pay msrp), the quality is good, various flavors, and comes from a big name manufacturer.  They are probably the most well known protein sellers on the market.  It's a very solid product.

No comments:

Post a Comment